Killowen Dalriadan – 11 Year Old International Blended Malt

Killowen Distillery is no stranger to be making waves in the Irish whiskey industry. As one of the smallest distilleries in the country, Killowen has consistently been proving that size doesn’t matter as they consistently, and instantly sell out all of their limited releases.

Of course this means that innovation is not an unfamiliar word on the Killowen Distillery and the Dalriadan Blended Malt Whiskey proves just that.

The whiskey is an 11 year old blended malt that hails from both the North of Ireland and Islay in Scotland, with 40% of the blend being comprised by double distilled peated malt, matured exclusively in ex-bourbon hogsheads, while the remaining 60% is comprised of an 11 year old malt from a County Antrim distillery, which was finished for three years in Oloroso Butts.

According to Brendan Carty, Founder of Killowen Distillery, “Whiskey lovers have always pondered which nation created whiskey, in truth whiskey evolved long before our fixed ideals of nation and kingdoms. Nowhere is this fluidity of place acknowledged more, than the lands surrounding the sea of Moyle.

Predating whiskey’s foundations, there was once an ancient kingdom known as Dalriata, a kingdom long since disappeared yet the fluidity of her peoples remains just as dynamic to this day. This drop is a celebration of different, but heavily related whiskey traditions and dare we say, when merged, a beautiful fusion is created. Both whiskeys originate safely within the boundaries of what was once, a vibrant sea-faring nation, so here’s Slánte to the past, or next 1400 years.

Brendan continued that he thoroughly enjoyed bonding and blending this whiskey, it’s as much of a learning experience for him as it is for his consumers. As usual he made the drinks he wants to taste, and thankfully Killowen’s fans seem to share this point of view.

Killowen Official Tasting Notes:
Nose Fruit Salad Sweets at the start, then with apricot, Lemon and Pineapple coming to the fore, not forgetting the Atlantic turf fire in the background. 

Palate Crumbley Wensleydale, that wensleydale you get with fruit, maybe bits of dried apricot, lemon and maybe even buts of blueberry if it was ever made that way. 

Finish This for us, is where the whiskey champions itself, yes there is cigar leaf but there seems to be a powdery texture among that deep peaty smoke and very herbal but again with that citrus crumbly cheese. 

RRP: €134.95 / £115.00

Release Date: 5pm Friday 3rd December. Online: Irish Malts, Anzac Wholesale, Umbrella Project, KWM Wines On trade: All good retail stores we can currently service

Leave a Reply

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: